Zombie Brain Sushi Recipe
Updated: Nov 14
This zombie brain sushi is a fun food for Halloween. It's creepy looking, but really it's just sushi jazzed up to look like a brain and my kids eat it up (literally)!
Zombie Brain Sushi
*This recipe makes 4 brains, using 1/2 of an avocado for each brain.
avocados x 2
cooked sushi rice
cream cheese, about 4 tablespoons
smoked salmon, about 9 oz
red food coloring, a few drops
Prep: Cook your sushi rice as directed on the package. I cooked 1 cup of dry sushi rice.
Cut your avocado in half and take out the pit. Scoop the flesh out of the skin leaving the whole avocado in that half shape.
Fill the hole in your avocado with some softened cream cheese.
3. Place the avocado, cream cheese side down, onto your plate.
4. Cover the avocado with the cooked sushi rice (save some sushi rice in a small bowl for the last step. Have a bowl of water nearby to wet your hands so that the rice doesn't stick to your hands.
5. Take pieces of the smoked salmon, fold them to create the brain-like folds, and place them on top of the rice, folding them to create that brain look.
6. Cover your brain with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge. This helps mold that salmon into the brain shape.
7. Add a few drops of the red food coloring to the sushi rice that you saved earlier. Stir it around to coat.
8. Take out your sushi brains and add the red rice in a line down the center of your brain.
9. Cover with plastic wrap again and store in the fridge until you're ready to eat it.
These are great to make ahead for Halloween night and eat them before or after trick or treating.